Headlines

  • Wednesday 26 September 2012

    Big winner revealed on Cattermole sweepstake

    There were big celebrations for office worker Kenny Baldock today after scooping the jackpot in a Lee Cattermole red card sweepstake organised by colleagues.




    Before the start of the football season, workers in the Watford office block where Baldock is a systems analyst drew lots with dates on them with winner deemed to be the one holding the date closest to Sunderland midfield tyro Lee Cattermole's first red card of the season. "When I saw I'd drawn September 25", Baldock told us, "I was absolutely gutted. I thought there was no way he'd last that long and that it was the last time I'd see that two quid and that all those with August dates were quids in".

    Cattermole has been given plenty of opportunity to allow his personality to leak out as he has, to date, played all four of Sunderland's league games and their two ties in the league cup, but had largely behaved properly until the 31st minute of the second-round clash with MK Dons when he lunged wildly at Adam Chicksen. Referee Stuart Attwell drew the red card instantly and dismissed the Sunderland skipper.

    "I was following the scores online", said Baldock, "as my own team, Southampton, were also in action. Jay Rodriguez had put us ahead against Sheffield Wednesday and then just over a minute later, Cattermole reverted to type. So not only did my team win, I'm £60 up as well. Brilliant!"

    The straight red, the seventh dismissal of his career, will see Cattermole suspended for three games, including the upcoming derby at home to Newcastle while Baldock will have the word 'wanker' muttered in his direction by colleagues, under their breath.

    No comments: